National Prescription Drug Drop-Off Day is May 21st #RXDrop2016
National Prescription Drug Drop-off Day aims to promote the safe storage and disposal of prescription drugs and reduce the amount of drugs available in people’s homes for possible abuse and accidental poisonings.
Many prescription drugs that have a high potential for misuse come from the medicine cabinets of friends and families. In addition, improper disposal of unused drugs can have harmful environmental impacts if they end up in the garbage or sewer system. To reduce the potential harms of prescription and over-the-counter medications on individuals, families, communities and the environment, pharmacists recommend cleaning out your medicine cabinet at least once per year.
Five Tips for Cleaning Out Your Medicine Cabinet
- Check expiration dates and remove products that are expired.
Virtually every medication – from vitamins, to prescription medications, to over-the-counter products – have expiry dates. Keep in mind that some products can expire before the date on the label once opened. When in doubt, ask a pharmacist.
- Remove any medication not in its original container.
If you can’t remember what a medication is for or who it was for, get rid of it. As much as possible, keep your medication in its original packaging. Mixing different medications in the same container or storing them outside of their original packaging increases the likelihood of accidental overdose or poisonings.
- Place unwanted and expired drugs in a clear plastic bag.
Medications in blister packs and forms of liquid and cream medications can also be included in the plastic bag.
- Drop off your unwanted prescription and over-the-counter medications at London Drugs. These medications will be safely incinerated, preventing them from being abused, entering landfills or the sewer system. London Drugs also recycles medication bottles, lids and medication vials. Please be sure to remove personal information by taking off the label or by using a marker to lack out personal information.
- You can bring your medications to the pharmacy year round.
Unwanted and expired drugs are accepted every day at any London Drugs location, not only on May 21st.
Visit londondrugs.com/medicationdisposal for more information.